First United Methodist Church
JOB DESCRIPTION – Director of Youth Ministry
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. If you have questions, you can email [email protected], [email protected] or call the church office at 601-924-6671.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Youth Ministries must have a strong personal relationship with Jesus Christ; live a Christian lifestyle through devotional practices, commitment to prayer and spiritual growth; and be a part of FUMC Clinton through prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness. The Director will be responsible for the discipleship and overall implementation of the youth ministry for students in grades 7-12. This will occur through planning, coordinating, overseeing, and executing programming for youth in our congregation while working within the United Methodist tradition.
- Minister to youth and their families through mentoring relationships and by curating environments in which other adults may do the same.
- Model a life of Christian discipleship through personal lifestyle and personal spiritual growth.
- Attend worship services at First United Methodist Church Clinton and encourage participation and attendance for our youth group in those services and other ministries.
- Oversee all facets of the Youth Ministry Program and ensure its vitality.
- Coordinate, train, equip, and shepherd Youth Ministry volunteers, including small group leaders, Sunday School volunteers, chaperones, etc., to teach and work with age groups as they are defined.
- Organize a time of youth worship that is dynamic, engaging, and relevant in the lives of 7th to 12th graders. The director of youth ministries teaches during this time, organizes volunteers to create an irresistible environment for teens, and works with the youth worship leader to get students involved in the leadership of the service.
- Develop or implement curriculum for use in all programming that aligns with the United Methodistdoctrine/tradition.
- Lead, organize, teach, and coordinate transportation for a weekly Prayer Breakfast Bible study during the school year.
- Plan, implement, and execute annual retreats, conferences, camps, mission trips/projects, etc. in order to help students grow closer to Christ and to one another.
- Work with parents, students, and appointed clergy to implement an over-arching and collaborative approach to the ministry as a whole that is consistent with the goals, vision, mission, and strategy of FUMC Clinton, and to review annually each area of ministry, its effectiveness and necessity.
- Communicate with Youth parents and students on a regular basis and additionally as needed by various mediums (including, but not limited to: bulletin, email, The Voice, print, web, text, and social media).
- Reach out within the community to meet students and parents where they are.
- Collaborate and interact with other area Youth Pastors, United Methodist, etc. through participation in city-wide, UM Conference, etc. meetings and events.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and other church meetings as necessary.
- Ensure the Safe Sanctuary Policy is implemented and followed.
- Develop and oversee the youth ministry budget with the help of the youth ministry counsel.
· Other duties as assigned
· May supervise Youth Ministry Intern(s)
· Must be at least 21 years old
· Bachelor’s Degree from a 4-year university
· 3 years paid youth ministry experience
Reports to: Associate Pastor
FSLA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Approved: 2019; rev. 2023